Pages

Monday, March 26, 2012

90th Birthday Scrapbook Cake


This scrapbook cake celebrated 90 years of life for a very special birthday boy and highlighted his career path, his family, and all of his interests and activities.  I had a great time making all the edible decorations and, as I did so, marveled at the diversity of the things they represented... definitely a busy and full 90 years!


This native of Shelby worked for Met Life, loves homemade ice cream, is active in his church and enjoys collecting antiques.


He's a Tarheel football fan, was a blueberry farmer, and, along with his wife, Lucy, has a big enough family to fill this entire family tree!


His family remembers fondly the hours he spent on his big red tractor, and wanted to make sure that his two cocker spaniels, one black and one blonde, made an appearance on the cake.


This avid gardener also enjoys following the stock market and served in the army during WWII.


In his spare time, this birthday boy also enjoys playing bridge, a good game of pool, and visiting the beach.


I got the nicest note after the party from the birthday boy's daughter.  She wrote: "Thank you so much for ensuring that my dad's cake was as unique and interesting as he is! It definitely captured the highlights of his life and the memories will be with all of us for many years to come." 

I agree!  Your dad is a man of many interests and I was thrilled to help you celebrate his special day!

3 comments:

  1. Marj, you are amazing! What a wonderful gift you have! I love the way you have the names in the leaves of the family tree. All the details of his wonderful life are fabulous. He must be a great man with a loving family :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful cake. Great job. My grandfather is turning 90 this month. I was going to do a similar idea. What size pans did you use? How thick? You can email me at justbaked8@gmail.com. Thank you Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for those nice words, amypb and michelle!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog - I love hearing from readers! Happy caking!

Marj