Pages

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Designer Style


Now THIS is the way to celebrate a 40th birthday - in designer style at The Umstead Hotel and Spa in Cary, NC.  I mean, if you have to turn 40, you might as well do it at a five star resort!  This cake had three of the birthday girl's favorite flavors.  The bottom was lemon cake, the middle was red velvet and the top was three layers of carrot cake.


The birthday girl is quite the fashionista and I included a lot of her favorite designers on the shopping bags, shoes, purse and jewelry on this cake.  I had so much fun making all these sugar pieces.  It sort of made me want to go shopping!


I discovered that a bit of gum paste dissolved in a little vodka makes a very nice paint for edible shoes.  When it dries it gives the finished piece the look of real leather.  I used a different technique for the purse.  I dusted it with a little brown, orange and magenta petal dust to get the shading the way I wanted it.  Then I passed it through the steam from my trusty tea pot and set the colors.  It also made the fondant look a little more like real leather.


Everything on this cake was edible except the brooch in the Tiffany's box - that was a big sparkly button.  To make the purse and the shopping bags, I started with the basic shape made of rice krispie treats and then added fondant and gum paste details.


After the party I got a nice email from the birthday girl.  She wrote:
"Everyone loved the cake   Especially the staff at Umstead.  Once again you have outdone yourself. It was fabulous and just perfect." 
Thanks for letting me be a part of the celebration!

2 comments:

  1. You are the best!! I'm impressed with ALL your creations. You rock!!!
    Blessings to you :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog - I love hearing from readers! Happy caking!

Marj