Pages

Friday, April 22, 2011

It's a hoot!


Whoooo loves first birthday celebrations?  I do, that's who!  And my favorite part is making the little smash cake for the guest of honor.  There's just something about a mini treat that gets me every time.  Take this one, for example:

The theme of this party was owls, and the birthday boy's mom asked me to re-create an owl cake I made several months ago.  Her favorite part of that cake was the sugar caterpillar, so I used that as the inspiration for this little stump smash cake.  Here's what it looked like all together:


8 comments:

  1. Can I ask how you made the texture on the stump cake and how you got the shape for it? I want to do something similar for my Son's first birthday in March! I am so excited and I love these ideas, they are inspiring to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Mary!

    I created the stump shape by adding a few extra cake pieces to a small, round cake. I "glued" them on with a little icing and then iced over the whole thing with chocolate buttercream. I used a fork to make the texture of the bark - just ran it up and down the icing to rough it up. So easy! Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have a template for creating your owl body on the blue cake?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't keep my pattern... I made it out of paper to get the size right and then traced around it to cut the fondant pieces. Once I was done, I threw it away. It would be pretty easy to make one from the photo of my cake. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did you do the white accent on the owl's body? Is there a white accent marker? This is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, K! I used a really small paint brush and made edible white paint with powdered white food color and a little vodka.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I was wandering if you can ship your cakes? I live in Northern Virginia.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there! My cakes are all iced in buttercream so there's really no way to package them for shipping. All you would get is a really yummy mess!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog - I love hearing from readers! Happy caking!

Marj