Pages

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Only in New York


This cake is as close to NYC as you can be while still standing in Raleigh, NC - and that was the theme of Gracie's birthday celebration!  Her chocolate fudge cake was surrounded by the city skyline and speeding taxi cabs, decorated with posters from her favorite Broadway shows and famous street signs, and topped with a few New York icons - a Coney dog, a slice of Junior's cheesecake, a shopping bag from Bloomingdale's and a box from Tiffany's.  Can't you almost hear Liza Minnelli singing?  "Start spreading the news..."


9 comments:

  1. This cake is gorgeous! I would love to have one made for my niece in Los Angeles - any pointers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I knew an LA bakery to recommend... I'm just an east coast girl, I guess! You might try a Google search to see if you can find a bakery that does custom work. They'd probably be able to do this kind of thing - Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What are the buildings made out of? Fondant?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Cheryl, the buildings are made of fondant with a little gum paste mixed in to help them hold their shape better. I made them several days in advance so they would be completely hardened when I added them to the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi marj could i just say this is amazing. i am wondering if you used a cutter or free hand making the buildings
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cut the buildings out free hand. Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know this is an old post but I am curious to know how you made the topping for the cheesecake? Great cake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for asking, Melodi! I added a little red food coloring to some piping (sugar) gel and mixed in some red candy beads. It poured over the top just like cherry pie filling!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog - I love hearing from readers! If you have an inquiry about placing an order, please email me at mpjenkins5@gmail.com. Happy caking!

Marj