Pages

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A Library of Children's Favorites

It's time to post the rest of the story...


You remember our friend, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, from my last post?  Well, he and a few friends were invited to a party recently.  They arrived on the cake...


Corduroy was there.  Even missing a button he made it to the party!


Our friend Brown Bear came too. "Brown bear, brown bear, what do you see? ..."



Look who he found - the little mouse from Goodnight Moon.  He's on every page, you know!


Last, but not least, the Pigeon, Knufflebunny and Curious George jumped up on top.  All the birthday twins' favorites... now that's my kind of party theme!

3 comments:

  1. such a cute cake! the details are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this cake more than I can easily explain. Can you please share, how did you make the characters? I'd love to figure out how to replicate this for an upcoming children's book themed baby shower. Thank you in advance for any information you're willing to share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the compliment! I made the characters out of gum paste and fondant... and really just used the same techniques that you would with other types of materials. I cute the basic shapes out of gum paste and let them harden to create a canvas and added details. Some of the details are hand painted, some are made of fondant and layered on top of the original shape. Some of the pieces were made by swirling several colors of fondant together before rolling them flat like the caterpillar and the bear. The 3D characters are also made of fondant - I used it like playdoh or clay to create a sugar sculpture. My best piece of advice is to make samples out of paper and then use the paper pieces as templates to make the sugar creations. Happy caking!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog - I love hearing from readers! Happy caking!

Marj