Pages

Saturday, July 25, 2009

A Kitchen Bridal Shower

A toaster is the classic wedding gift. I know I got at least three of them! So when my friend asked me to create a cake for a kitchen shower, I knew a toaster had to be on it.

This cute pink toaster is made of Rice Krispie Treats and covered in fondant. Even the cord and plug are edible. It is sitting on a 10" round pound cake with a plaid buttercream tablecloth. The slices of toast are pound cake too. The close up picture shows the detail of the melted "butter" on the toast.


While I had a great time making this fun cake, I had even more fun decorating all the Devil's Food chocolate cupcakes that go with it. I made 24 cupcakes in all - each one was a miniature, sugary version of another food. I crafted them out of cake and buttercream, sugar paste, candies and chocolate. My favorite was the taco, but my son loved the sushi and cheese fries.







8 comments:

  1. Unbelievable!! You are incredibly talented! I was unable to attend this shower and friends called me the minute they left to tell me about the cake. I am so glad you added it to your website so I could see it. I have book marked your website in anticipation of using you for special occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! You just made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way the butter pat shines...did you use jam?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually used a little sugar gel.... but jam would work too. The toast was pound cake, cut into the shape of a piece of bread and toasted in the oven. It tasted like biscotti, so a little jam on top would be very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are absolutly amazing! I'm curious... are the egg and bacon made out of fondant? I am trying to make eggs and bacon cupcakes for a project and those are by far the best I've seen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! The egg was fondant with a little piping gel on the yolk and a sprinkle of black sugar for pepper. The bacon was marbled fondant to make it look like bacon. Thanks for the compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks fantastic. You are super creative! Love the use of a ferrero roche to make the meatball! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog - I love hearing from readers! Happy caking!

Marj