Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A Cake Decorating Party!

These cupcakes were my samples for a cake decorating birthday party. A good friend's daughter asked me to come to her party and teach everyone how to decorate cakes. The party had an under the sea theme and each guest got to make four cupcakes decorated with buttercream waves, a sugary octopus and sea turtle, chocolate shells, edible pearls and seaweed. Not only were these the party entertainment, the guests got to take them home to enjoy the next day. Keep scrolling to the end of this post to see the sea turtle cake I made for the party.

I got everything set up before the guests arrived. Everybody had a work station and supplies.

We started with the sugar work - kneading the fondant and shaping the sea creatures. Then we made rocks and added pre-made seaweed. Everyone loved shaking the pearls in shiny purple pearl dust.

Finally it was time for the fun part - squirting yummy buttercream onto the cupcakes!



Everyone got to embellish their creations with candy gravel, chocolate shells and buttercream seaweed. I was so impressed with everyone's creativity.


These sea creatures have as much personality as the people who made them!


This octopus really cracked me up. He looks like he's been eating cake and has buttercream all over his face!

What's a little cake decorating without a taste or two? Mmmm - buttercream!


Here is Brooke's cake. Read more about it in my next post...

2 comments:

  1. What a fabulous idea for a birthday party! Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so wondeful. What a fantastic idea. Thanks so much for sharing. Cheers, Lia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog - I love hearing from readers! Happy caking!

Marj